Saturday 11 July 2009

An NRI Experience when back home

This was my experience when i went back home after my stay in London.
My heart raced as I stepped into my flight(Kingfisher airlines), thinking iam going HOME my country. My ten hour journey was the longest. I never slept,never ate anything the thought of going home, was so high ,that nothing distracted me.when our flight landed, I stepped out and taking in everything i saw around.when i came out of the airport, the shock was immediate. the new airport in B'lore took me by sup rise, b'cos the first time when i went it was at marathahalli airport.As i drove through the city I hardly recognised the place, there was more crowd, more buses,more cars and more traffic everywhere.I was dumbstruck looking at the enormity of the situation and turned around to anthil,who was with me and he laughed looking at my baffled face.I could not assess anything.I want to hide myself as quickly as possible. i became claustrophobic all of a sudden. I kept telling myself that things would be better as the days go by. did it?No. I was in for more sup rises my friends, my relatives and those who were close to me came to see me and they started talking about what had happened in my absence, there i was not knowing what was happening. i was dumb struck ."have I come to a wrong place?" i asked myself but i was not .nothing made sense nothing really. now i can understand why Indians on coming back had a blank face .Here I was in the same situation. nothing really made sense to me.my yearning to come back slowing dropping like the dipping of mercury. I thought to myself, of how much things have changed over the years.everyone has moved on, but iam still with my memories of yesteryear's. My thoughts grew stronger as the days passed by and knew that my friends have moved on , my close kith and kin have moved on and so i have to move on. just like every other NRI gathered some mud to remind me of my motherland and took some pictures of my friends to remind myself that things have changed and moved to, towards the closing gates of the airport looking back and waving to my dear ones and my dear land and promising to visit again but deep down i knew i have lost them forever.

7 comments:

  1. Maa'm I am yearning to go to India :) The moment I am done with my higher studies I want to run back home!! Only time will tell if my mind changes my track and I feel the same as you feel...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't be suprised pratyaksha. it happens the same way to everyone out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I went back to India, when the plane touched Bombay airport, all the passengers clapped their hands and a part of our 'Jana Gana Mana' was played. Let me tell you I had tears flowing out of my eyes so profusely, I dared not look at anyone... I was so overwhelmed.
    Latha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to what you went thru but over the years (last 26 years) as I was getting little older and much much wiser (in general this what should happen but not sure in my case) i realised that expectation is the main cause for dissappointment. My first few trips I had the same experience lot of changes, i didn't quite fit in, friends and relatives have moved on... So what did I expect? when I have moved on with my life and changed in all aspects, my friends and relatives to stay the same?. I also heard from others that India is not the same anymore and people over their have changed and the list of opinions goes on and on. Over the last few trips some thing strange happend because I was alone wandering thru the streets, visitng local temples and other places without any expectations. That's when I realised India and Indians are still the same its just they have adapted to the changing times. You can and will truly enjoy the same old India once we remove our NRI goggles and be one of them.

    Ramesh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did feel the loss of friends when I went to India during vacation. I too felt that everyone has learnt to move on with life and their days do not necessarily start or end with us! It did feel sad to me.
    Infact I had a wierd feeling when I looked at the roads, transport system in Bangalore. Implicitly my mind was finding the differences and disadvantages of being in my home town!! This was something I never wanted to do but ended up doing it unknowingly!! But on the contrary, it is also true that my love for the country has increased by being far from it! I feel like going to temples, celebrating festivals with more enthusiasm than before.The Indian tradiational outfits looks more beautiful than before, the Indian dances look more pretty to our eyes. Our eyes crave for bollywood movies! Distance from our loved ones probably taught me their significance in my life! Only the time machine will tell in which direction will my mind choose to go in years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learn to live with realities pratyaksha.you will be fine and you will start enjoying.Happy stay in India.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such great information.
    It is informative, can you help me in finding out more detail on
    about rera act.

    ReplyDelete