Sunday 12 July 2009

My Favourite Temples.Part 2 Woraiyur Sri Vekkali Amman Temple.



This is another famous temple which I visited only recently.It is situated in the Rock city of Trichirapalli It is around 2-3 Kms from Mainguard gate the town centre.It was also the capital city of the chola kingdom and it is also famous for cotton sarees and dhotis. This temple has a long history and the kings in those days prayed to the goddess for valor and strength and they even visited this temple before going to the battlefield.

This temple is very special because the main murthy the goddess has no roof over her head and it is said many attempts were made to build a roof but they have failed and it is also said that the goddess has pledged not to have a shelter until everyone in the city have shelter.
I have a very Interesting experience to share about this temple.
It was a time when I was in troubled waters and I didn't know what to do that I experienced her arul.It was a cool sunday night and I could see a small girl standing in front of my house. I moved towards her and she moved away, again when I started to say something she hushed me and asked me to follow her.I moved quickly with her and she walked through the sands of the cauvery river and climbed over to the other side of the river as soon as I climbed over I could hear the water gushing past me. I stumbled ,the little girl held my hand and gently guided meand she brought me to a small lane and there I was standing in front of the temple.I looked around, the girl was no where in sight. I turned around and not finding her, walked into the temple.The goddess ,was seated there and in front of her was the dress the little girl had worn. I looked up and I could see the knowing smile on her face.I woke up and the same day I asked the people around,about the temple which had no roof and they told me it was this temple Sri Vekkali Amman temple. I followed the same route which she had taken me and there I was in front of the temple.

This deity is usually offered lemon garlands and kungumam as offerings and thousands of people come to this temple to take her blessings.It is very auspicious to light lemon lamps in this temple to remove all dristis from a person.
May you have the arul of Sri Vekkai Amman today and always.

4 comments:

  1. My list of 'must see' temples is growing!

    I have always had a small doubt in my mind about 'dristi'. I have seen my grandmother, mother, and I have to admit - myself, doing the dristi removal by different means. Commonly it is with salt, camphor (kalpooram), and also with lemon.

    Is 'dristi' for real?
    Can it induce negative effects?
    What is the significance of these different items used in 'dristi' removal?

    Latha

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. dristi itself means vision. so it was always thought dristi is negative. It is wrong coinage of the term.apart from this ,yes a person can impart negative energy. All of us have positive and negative energy around us in the form of a aura.this energy is sometimes disturbed by an external energy.so when we take somebody's blessing they impart some of their postive energy to us which is very helpful to us, in the same way, some people without their knowledge give out more of negative energy which again hits our aura and disturbs it.since it is counteracting with our energy aura it disturbs us physically and mentally.
    coming to the next question the forms that we use to wade off negative energy is crude but works.
    using camphor or lemon to wade of energy has basically no significance but by doing that you subconsciously think that dristi is removed, but what actually happens is the aura always tends to revert back to its orginal postion in the course of time even without our interference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy to learn that all the Dhristi removing techniques are only for our satisfaction because we were afraid Latha was going hurt her back one of these days... ha ha ha

    -Ramesh & the boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard even Evil eye can affect god and goddess.we are all mortals .So we need some ritual to remove certain drishti.Lemon is great to ward off evil eyes and it can make your body very light.I think elders should have taught this technique right from young age. Like as soon you get up you brush your teeth and clean yourself likewise you should clean your aura also with some ritual.

    ReplyDelete